Wednesday, February 25, 2009

"A happy family is but an earlier heaven" -George Bernard Shaw

Lately I’ve thought a lot about the importance and blessings of family. As my grandfather was in the hospital for triple bypass surgery my family gathered together for support. We waited in the waiting room and reflected on times we’ve shared together and I was reminded what a blessing it is to have their love and support. My family has made me who I am and I am so grateful to know of the importance and sanctity of familial relationships. In “The Family: A Proclamation to the World” it is said, “We, the First Presidency and the Council of the Twelve Apostles of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, solemnly proclaim that marriage between a man and a woman is ordained of God and that the family is central to the Creator's plan for the eternal destiny of His children.” Family is central to the Creator’s plan. We are put into families for a reason and as I’ve prepared to get married I’ve felt even more appreciative of family. I am starting my own family where we’ll have our own traditions and experiences together. I now have someone to love and care for who loves and cares for me in return. I need him. I need him in order to progress in this life and in order to progress in the next life. I am so grateful that God put us into family units where we can learn, grow, love and nurture Christ like qualities.

No comments: