Sunday, August 28, 2011

Making Baby Food

This pumpkin is from our garden! We grew pumpkins and it took over our sidewalk and half of the garden! It was nuts but fun! It's funny to me to have pumpkins in August. So I decided to make some baby food out of it! It is a vegetable, after all!
I opted not to bake the seeds. They're not my favorite and I just didn't really feel like doing it that night.
While cutting the pumpkin, my knife slipped and I cut my finger. I panicked for a minute because Chris was at work and it was close to Mitch's bed time so I knew he could fly off the handle at any minute. It didn't look too bad so I tried my best at putting two bandaids on it after I got it to stop bleeding. I picked up Mitchell and it started bleeding all over again and the bandaids were coming off. Thank goodness I have such sweet neighbors. I went over to their house and she hooked me up with new bandaids and some tape. Phew!
My rice cooker has a steam basket so that's how I cooked the pumpkin. After that, I put it in a food processor to blend it up and then into an ice cube tray for pervect serving sizes. Each slot holds about 2 tablespoons of food. On the other side are some mashed bananas. After about 24 hrs, you transfer them to a freezer safe container. I just use the freezer safe zip lock bags. This has actually become sort of a hobby for me. So far I've made pumpkin, beets, and green beens from our garden, then storebought I've made: squash, bananas, peaches, pears, and blueberries (although never again will I make blueberries). Now I just have to wait for Mitchell to turn 6 months old so I can feed it to him!

1 comment:

emeidell said...

Aw, poor Amanda! It's so scary to cut your finger, huh! Thank goodness for sweet neighbors (and friends) Ha ha!! You are too sweet to me. :) I hope your finger is feeling better.