
Different workshops have found out that I’m engaged and that we do not live together. No matter how hard I try not to, I always seem to delve into personal conversations. At times it’s good, because I can offer principles of the gospel and have missionary experiences.
This week’s workshop, upon learning that my fiancé and I do not live together, asked “What if ya’ll don’t function well together after you get married? What if he spits in the sink and doesn’t clean it out or something? How do you know that it’s going to work?” I sat down and started telling them my view on marriage. I said something like, “I am very religious and have lived according to a set of values and morals in my life. My religion is not just a Sunday activity. It is a lifestyle and I promised myself that I would marry someone who had the same religion and values that I do. I may not know everything about him and he doesn’t know everything about me. He has faults and I have faults but I know his heart and his heart is good and I have a good heart too. A lot of people believe that marriage either happens or it doesn’t or that divorce can come and sneak up on you. Many people think you can just fall out of love out of no where. THAT IS A LIE. The truth is that marriage is about two people that are making choices every day that either bring you closer together or push you further apart as a couple. People do not just fall out of love. They were making decisions that led up to that. If you are living to make your spouse happy before yourself, you will be happy in marriage.” After I was done and stepped off of my soap box, one girl said “Awww, you ‘gon be married forever!” and I said, “Well, that’s the point, isn’t it?” I am so grateful for the gospel of Jesus Christ and all that it’s taught me and all that it’s taught Chris. Heavenly Father has truly blessed us in our preparation to make covenants as an eternal family.

No comments:
Post a Comment